Okay, I am not a huge fan of spinach unless it's raw in a salad... However, when you're at the end of your creative wheel on weeknight sides, sometimes you just have to look inside your refrigerator and say, "What the heck! This might be good together!"
This was last minute and I needed a side for my Greek burgers. Little did I know, it was a huge hit (except, I almost ruined it when I left it on broil for too long!) This was easy to whip up in no time. You always have these ingredients in your freezer or refrigerator at home too! My entire family gobbled this dish up during our Sunday supper. Next time, I'm serving it to a crowd as a dip; and maybe after that, it will be my go to for steak night.
- With the olive oil, saute the onion in a skillet until tender
- Add spinach and continue to saute
- Add lemon, nutmeg, and crushed red pepper
- Lower heat and add Boursin cheese
- Fold in cream
- Remove from heat
- Butter a small casserole dish and transfer spinach cheese mixture into the buttered dish. Top with shaved Parmesan cheese
- Top with salt and cracked black pepper
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes and broil for 3 to 5 minutes until crisp.
- 1 box frozen spinach (thawed and excess water squeezed out)
- 1 container of Boursin cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup shaved Parmesan
- Zest of half a lemon
- pinch of both nutmeg and crushed red pepper