It's no secret that okra is my spirit vegetable! I could eat okra every day with every meal. It must have been all the fried okra my Dad fed me during childhood! Nonetheless, I love this Southern staple and I love love love Indian food. So why not combine these two cultures and make an Indian roasted Okra for a weeknight supper accompaniment? The magical combination of the crispy okra with the pleasantly pungent spices roasted to perfection is an exotic departure from the boring week night green bean.
1 pound okra, washed, tops cut off and cut in half lengthwise
1 pint heirloom cherry tomatoes, washed and cut in half
¼ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground coriander
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl toss all ingredients together.
- Pour onto lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are slightly charred.
- Serve alone or on top of rice and Enjoy!