My Mama certainly knew how to make the most out of a little and to make it taste unbelievably good! She had many mouths to feed and she set the flavor bar really high--unintentionally of course. This super simple skillet cabbage and bacon side is just what I need after long nights with my girls doing homework and endless carpooling to sporting events!
- 1 head of green cabbage, sliced very thin
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Tabasco to taste
- Cook the bacon in a sauté pan until cooked through and crispy. Remove from pan, let drain and crumble. Reserve ½ cup of the bacon drippings.
- Add the diced onion to the same sauté pan along with the bacon drippings. Cook until onions are soft and translucent; about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage to the sauté pan with the onions. Add the crumbled bacon back in and 1/4 cup of chicken broth.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally until cabbage is tender. About 20 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze in the lemon juice. And a couple of dashes of Tabasco.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!