For the Creamiest Grits of the South
- 3 cups of water (or stock for added flavor)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup of grits
- 1/2 cup of cream or whole milk to finish
- Combine water, salt, and butter in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Slowly stir in grits and return to a boil.
- Cover pot and reduce to a simmer, cooking slowly for 20-30 minutes or until desired tenderness. Note: the longer the grits cook the creamier the result!
- Finish by stirring in milk or cream. Add salt, pepper, and butter to taste.