Homemade Valentine's "Pop-Tarts"
Posted by Callies Biscuits on
Pop-tarts were one of my top 5 favorite kid foods. I would beg for them at the grocery store! There is something about the delicious fruit-filled pastry that I couldn't get enough of. Especially when toasted...so warm and buttery, a bit salty yet sweet... my mouth is watering.
I have always loved Pop-tarts but honestly, I refuse to buy them for my girls! I know, I know, but they are full of artificial sugar and so addictive it is better that we don't have them in the house.
This Valentine's Day we are going to make a super simple version of Pop-tarts together!
Homemade Blackberry Pop-Tarts
- - 1 box (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry thawed according to package directions.
- Flour for dusting
- Callie’s Blackberry Jam
- 1 egg white beaten
- For the Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
1. Lightly flour your working space and cut each sheet into 6 rectangles.
1. Evenly fill half of the rectangles with a heaping tablespoon of jam. Carefully spread it around making sure to leave a ½ inch border (so the jam won’t ooze out).
1. Gently use your finger and wet the edges of the pastry. Lay the remaining 6 rectangles over the filling and seal the edges by crimping with the back of a fork. *Dip the fork in water if it sticks to the dough*
1. Place on the parchment lined baking sheet. Don’t overcrowd because these will puff up! Use two baking sheets if needed.
1. Brush each top with the egg white.
1. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until pop tarts are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
1. While the pop tarts are cooling make the glaze. In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. If it is too thick add a touch a milk, if too thin add more powdered sugar.
1. Drizzle the glaze all over the pop tarts. Top with sprinkles if desired. Allow to set at room temperature and Enjoy!