Mint Snap Pea Salad
Posted by Callies Biscuits on
I have been drooling over Cafe Altro Paradiso's Instagram page for a year now. I was delighted to book a reservation while I was in New York for the Fancy Food Show and couldn't wait to carb out on their delicious handmade pasta. In all honesty, I only ordered their pea salad because everything else I ordered was white and I needed to order some green to make myself feel better. Turns out this mint snap pea salad was one of the most delicious dishes I have ever had. Maybe even rivaled the pasta itself!
Since I've gotten home, I've recreated this dish at least seven times. Yes, seven times in one month. I have served it to my family, at dinner parties, and I even made it to indulge in all by myself. Each time I have made this salad, there was a bit of variation mainly because I didn't have the ingredients the way I remembered it originally. That's what is so great about this recipe - you can use whatever is on hand! Fresh snap peas barely blanched, a generous amount of citrus (don't forget to include the zest), a quality olive oil, using both a nutty cheese and a creamy cheese will take this dish to the next level. Don't forget the fresh herbs.
Have fun with this dish and as always, enjoy!
Mint Snap Pea Salad
- - 3 cups fresh snap peas
- ½ red onion, sliced paper thin
- 2 radishes, cut into thin matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint, chiffonade
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons shaved Havarti cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh breadcrumbs, pine nuts or almonds
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. Fill a large stock pot with water and bring to a boil. Add the snap peas and boil for two minutes. Remove and immediately place in an ice bath. Once cooled, drain water.
1. Heat a skillet to medium heat and add one tablespoon olive oil. Add the breadcrumbs and stir until toasted. (You can also do pine nuts or chopped almonds instead of breadcrumbs). Once breadcrumbs are toasted, remove from heat and let cool completely.
1. In a large bowl, combine the snap peas, red onion, radishes, mint, lemon juice, lemon zest, Parmesan, Havarti, salt and pepper to taste, and top with toasted breadcrumbs.
1. Serve immediately and enjoy!