Brown Sugar-Bourbon BBQ Sauce
From Carrie Morey's Hot Little Suppers cookbook
- • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- • 2 cups minced yellow onions
- • 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- • 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- • 2 cups ketchup
- • 1/3 cup bourbon
- • 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- • 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
- • 2 teaspoons Sriracha (Asian chili sauce), Tabasco sauce, Texas Pete, or your favorite hot sauce
- • 1 teaspoon chili powder
- • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
I don't know about y'all, but I love a good, chunky BBQ sauce. It can go with anything like ribs, wings, pulled pork, or just as a good dipping sauce. Everyone has their own version of barbecue sauce, but this is a good ketchup or tomato-based barbecue sauce. I personally love both, so whatever your preference, BBQ sauce is loved by all. If you prefer a smoother sauce, you can let it cool and puree it in a blender.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium heat. Add the onions and cook about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
- Add the garlic and cook until the garlic is fragrant. Add the sugar and cook, stirring, until it melts, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and simmer 20 to 30 minutes. Taste and adjust the salt and pepper.
Grab my first cookbook: Callie's Biscuits & Southern Traditions, to get this recipe and so many more!!
Hot Little Tip
A sauce that is loved by all!