Posted by Callies Biscuits on
This chocolate pie is oh so good and it has a great story!
A customer reached out to me on Instagram and told me that she was good friends with my aunt in college. She was very sweet and said that they all looked up to my mom. Apparently, they got this recipe from my grandmother and she wanted to share that story!
After doing some digging, I found out that my aunt remembers her college friend but not the pie. However, my mom remembers this chocolate pie as my grandfather's favorite pie that my grandmother made for him!
I love the power of Instagram! I was able to connect with a customer, have a fun trip down memory lane with my mom and aunt, and recipe test the most delicious pie. We're going to make this for Father's Day!
Chocolate Meringue Pie
- - 4 ounces dark chocolate
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 ½ tablespoons powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Butter a pie dish and set aside.
1. Melt the chocolate in a double boiler with the powdered sugar, hot water and vanilla. Whisk until chocolate has melted and is smooth. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
1. For the meringue, use a stand mixer or hand-held and beat the egg whites on medium-high speed until foamy. Add the salt and cream of tartar and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
1. Slowly and gently fold half of the chocolate mixture into the meringue. This will take a few minutes to do. You want to go slowly so you don’t deflate the meringue. Once combined pour into the buttered pie dish. Bake for 30 minutes.
1. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
1. While the meringue is cooling, make the whipped cream. Using a stand mixer or hand held, beat the cream on medium-high speed, gradually adding in the sugar. Beat until shiny and stiff peaks form.
1. Reserve half of the whipped cream and set aside. With the remaining half of the whipped cream slowly and gently fold in the remaining half of the chocolate. (You still want the chocolate to be warm and not cold or it will seize up in the whipped cream). Stir until combined. Fold in the toasted pecans.
1. Top the cooled meringue with the chocolate whipped cream and place in the refrigerator for 2-3 hours to chill.
1. Serve with the remaining whipped cream and Enjoy!