Pearled Onion and Cremini Mushroom Risotto
Posted by Callies Biscuits on
With fall on the horizon, we're gearing up for a season full of entertaining. This risotto is a dinner party stunner! In fact, it is a great dish to make once your guests have arrived and are enjoying pre-dinner cocktails. As the earthy mushrooms, pearl onions, and fresh thyme simmer together, you start to feel warm and comfortable. The Julia Child onions and mushrooms are packed with flavor and take this risotto over the top! It really is the perfect fall dish to share with your loved ones. I like to serve this dish to anyone who says they don't like mushrooms... it turns them every time!
- - ½ bag frozen pearl onions
- 1 container cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- ½ cup white wine
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small white onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup white wine
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnish
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Salt to taste
- Fresh parsley for garnish
- 1. Preheat oven to 200º.
1. Add 2 tablespoons butter and olive oil to a sauté pan. Heat to medium heat.
1. Add frozen pearl onions and sauté until they begin to brown (about 8-10 minutes). Once brown, add the white wine and fresh thyme. Cover with lid and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
1. While the onions are cooking, sauté the mushrooms. Heat another skillet to medium heat. Add two tablespoons of butter and the mushrooms. Cook for 30 minutes.
1. Once the onions and mushrooms have cooked, combine them into one pan. Place in the preheated oven to keep warm while you cook the risotto.
1. Pour 8 cups chicken stock in a large saucepan and bring to a simmer.
1. Bring a dutch oven or large pot to medium heat. Add the butter.
1. Once the butter has melted, add the onion and garlic to the pan. Cook until onions are tender. Add in the Arborio rice and stir until combined.
1. Add the white wine and cook until the wine has absorbed, stirring frequently.
1. Once the wine has absorbed, begin adding warm chicken stock 2-3 ladles at a time. Stir constantly until the liquid has absorbed. Continue adding chicken stock 2-3 ladles at a time, stirring constantly until all of the chicken stock has absorbed and the rice is tender.
1. Turn the heat off and add in the parmesan cheese, stirring to combine. Add salt if needed.
1. Place the risotto in a serving bowl. Top with the pearled onions and mushrooms. Garnish with extra parmesan and parsley.
1. Serve immediately.