Red Rice Bake
Posted by Callies Biscuits on
Red rice is a Southern tradition and a big part of my growing up. Honestly, I never loved it. Often times red rice can be soggy. This recipe is my way of making it a little tastier! The savory addition of the smoked sausage and the good crunch on top added perfect texture. The best part... it's a one-pot meal and absolutely beautiful.
Red Rice Bake
- - 6 slices bacon
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 celery stalks, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 ½ cups Basmati rice
- ½ cup chicken stock or water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 pound smoked sausage, cut into ½ inch thick pieces
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
1. Fry the bacon in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once bacon is cooked through and crisp, remove and set aside.
1. To the same pan add the onion, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat.
1. Transfer vegetables to a large bowl. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, crushed pepper flakes, rice, chicken stock, lemon juice, bacon, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
1. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the same cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once butter has melted pour in the rice mixture. Add the smoked sausage slices and top with bread crumbs. Dot the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter all over the bread crumbs.
1. Bake for one hour. Serve immediately and enjoy!