Frito™ Pie with Fall's Favorite Chili • The perfect tailgate & Halloween night supper
From Carrie Morey's hot little suppers cookbook
- • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- • 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- • 1 pound ground pork
- • 2 tablespoons chili powder
- • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- • 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- • 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- • 1 teaspoon onion powder
- • 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- • 3/4 cup yellow mustard
- • 3 tablespoons water
Wow, I can't believe it is already Halloween. I love decorating and helping my girls with their costumes, but my favorite thing about this time of year is the entertaining. You simply can't beat boots, bonfires, and a bowl of chili! My friends and I came up with a creative way to make chili even better. We call it the Frito™ Pie. The kids love Frito™ Pie because they can serve themselves. If you use waxed paper bags there isn't much clean up. Chili is great-serve it on hot dogs, in Frito™ Pie, or on its own with any toppings.
- Heat the oil on medium heat in a deep cast-iron skillet or large saucepan.
- Brown the meat, using the back of the spoon to break it into little pieces.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer 30 minutes, or until thickened.
Frito Pie Assembly
- A bag of Fritos™ Original Corn Chips1/2 cup warm chili
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeños
- Any toppings you and your guests might enjoy (tomatoes, sour cream, diced avocado, shredded lettuce, sliced radishes, and more!)
- Grab a bowl or a waxed paper bag, fill it with Fritos, Little League Chili, and the toppings of your choosing. Enjoy!
This recipe (and more) is in my first cookbook, Callie's Biscuits & Southern Traditions – available now!