Valentine's Day Homemade Blackberry Jam "Pop-Tarts"
From Carrie Morey's Hot Little Suppers cookbook
- • 1 box (2 sheets) frozen puff pastry thawed according to package directions.
- • Flour for dusting
- • Callie’s Blackberry Jam
- • 1 egg white beaten
- • 1 cup powdered sugar
- • 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Glaze:
A few years ago on Valentine's Day, I was inspired to change up our breakfast with a nostalgic favorite – Pop-Tarts!
Pop-Tarts were one of my top 5 favorite kid foods. I would beg for them at the grocery store! There is something about the delicious fruit-filled pastry that I couldn't get enough of – especially when toasted! The crusts are so warm and buttery, with a bit of salt and a filling that is so sweet it makes your mouth water...
As much as I love the original Pop-Tarts, I refuse to buy them for my girls! I know, I know – that's not fair! My thought is that they are full of artificial sugar (and so addictive), that it is better that we don't have them in the house.
That being said – there is no boundaries on the occasional homemade Pop-Tart! This Valentine's Day we are going to make a super simple version of Pop-Tarts together!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Lightly flour your working space and cut each sheet into 6 rectangles.
- Evenly fill half of the rectangles with a heaping tablespoon of jam. Carefully spread it around making sure to leave a ½ inch border (so the jam won’t ooze out).
- Gently use your finger and wet the edges of the pastry. Lay the remaining 6 rectangles over the filling and seal the edges by crimping with the back of a fork. *Dip the fork in water if it sticks to the dough*
- Place on the parchment lined baking sheet. Don’t overcrowd because these will puff up! Use two baking sheets if needed.
- Brush each top with the egg white.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until pop tarts are golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool slightly.
- While the pop tarts are cooling make the glaze. In a small bowl whisk together the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla. Whisk until smooth. If it is too thick add a touch a milk, if too thin add more powdered sugar.
- Drizzle the glaze all over the pop tarts. Top with sprinkles if desired. Allow to set at room temperature and Enjoy!