Slow Cooker Grits
From Carrie Morey's Hot Little Suppers cookbook
"This serves as a one-pot meal we can eat at our leisure without requiring any to-do."
- • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- • 2 cups coarse-grind grits (not instant or quick-cooking!)
- • 10 cups water or stock
- • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- • Optional: 1 cup milk, warmed
Dominate the mornings by starting your breakfast the night before. My family does this on Christmas as a tradition but it is so delicious, we can't limit it to just one night a year!! We put grits in the slow cooker at night right before going to sleep. When we wake up, the grits are done! I serve them with chopped bacon, chopped green onions, and grated cheese. Make this dish even more Southern by adding a side of biscuits! Grab some frozen Callie's Hot Little Biscuits to pop in the oven for 20 minutes for a delicious biscuits and grits breakfast!
- Use 2 tablespoons of the butter to coat the inside of the slow cooker, coming halfway up the sides.
- Add the grits, the remaining butter, and the water or stock, and give it a good stir. Cover. Set on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- When the grits are cooked, stir in salt and pepper to taste. Loosen with the milk if too thick.
- If you wish, serve with one or more of the toppings.
Carrie's Favorite Toppings
- Chopped cooked bacon
- Chopped green onions
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Fiery Pimento Cheese
- Smoked Sausage