Slow Cooker Grits
From Carrie Morey's hot little suppers cookbook
"This serves as a one-pot meal we can eat at our leisure without requiring any to-do."
- • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- • 2 cups coarse-grind grits (not instant or quick-cooking!)
- • 10 cups water or stock
- • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- • Optional: 1 cup milk, warmed
This is a Christmas tradition for our family, but it’s so delicious, you aren’t going to want to limit yourself to one night a year. We put grits in the slow cooker on Christmas Eve right before setting out cookies for Santa. When we wake up, the grits are done! I serve them with chopped bacon, chopped green onions, and grated cheese. Since we have guests coming and going all day, this serves as a one-pot meal we can eat at our leisure without requiring any to-do.
- Use 2 tablespoons of the butter to coat the inside of the slow cooker, coming halfway up the sides.
- Add the grits, the remaining butter, and the water or stock, and give it a good stir. Cover. Set on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- When the grits are cooked, stir in salt and pepper to taste. Loosen with the milk if too thick.
- If you wish, serve with one or more of the toppings.
Carrie's Favorite Toppings
- Chopped cooked bacon
- Chopped green onions
- Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Fiery Pimento Cheese
- Smoked Sausage