Spicy Tuna Over Crispy Sushi Rice Waffles
From Carrie Morey's Hot Little Suppers cookbook
- Serves 4
- • 3/4 to 1 lbs Raw Tuna
- • 2 Cups Sushi Rice
- • 1 Tablespoon Rice Wine Vinegar
- • 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- • 1 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
- • Sesame Oil
- • 1/2 Cup Mayonnaise
- • Sriracha, to taste
- • 1 Lime, Juice & Zest
- • Cilantro, chopped
- • Cilantro
- • Cucumbers
- • Jalapeño
- • Avocado
- • Green Onion
- • Red Clay's Southern Chili Crisp
Of course, my girls are on TikTok… which comes with one perk: recipe inspiration! I had to try this viral trend of spicy raw tuna over crispy waffle rice and we all agree... This is a 💯💯💯! These crispy waffles are literal perfection.
I used raw tuna from my local fishmonger, Abundant Seafood or Mount Pleasant Seafood, but if you don't have access to fresh seafood. If you don't like raw seafood, you can always dice the raw tuna and sear it on a smokey cast iron to make it medium rare.
Hot Little Tip: I always tell my fishmonger that I'm eating the fish raw. They will bring me the very best cut fresh from the back.
- Mix 1/2 cup of mayonnaise with tablespoon(s) of Sriracha (however much you like... I like a lot, but taste and mix) in a bowl to make your Sriracha Mayo. Add lime juice, lime zest, and chopped cilantro.
- Dice fresh, raw tuna and combine it in a bowl with Sriracha Mayo. Set in your refrigerator.
- Let your sushi rice soak in water for about 15 minutes. Once soaked, cook following the package instructions or in your Charleston Rice Steamer.
- Once sushi rice is cooked, add rice wine vinegar, sugar, and soy sauce. Mix to combine.
- On your hot waffle maker, brush sesame oil so the entire grill is coated (both sides). Add the rice to the waffle maker and cook until crispy, about 10-15 minutes.
- Once your sushi rice "waffles" are crispy, remove from the waffle maker and build your bite!
- I used avocado mashed with lime juice, green onion, cucumber, toasted sesame seeds and sliced Jalapeño chili crisps!