Asparagus Bacon Roll Ups
From Carrie Morey's Hot Little Suppers cookbook
- • 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- • 3 teaspoons finely minced garlic
- • 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- • 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- • 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- • 32 spears asparagus, trimmed
- • 16 slices bacon
- • 16 slices white bread
- • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
It's a little hard to believe we're so close to the holidays... this time of year, all I can think about is entertaining (even if it it looks a little different from years past). These Asparagus Bacon Roll-Ups are great for tailgates or dinner parties. Plus, who doesn't love veggies wrapped in bacon?!
- Beat together cream cheese, Parmesan, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Blanch the asparagus in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and place in a bowl of ice water until cold. Drain the asparagus well and dry each spear.
- Partially cook the bacon, keeping it limber, as you will wrap the bread with it. Remove to a paper bag to drain.
- Use a serrated knife to remove the crusts from the bread. Flatten each bread slice with a rolling pin. Spread each slice of bread with cream cheese mixture. Place 2 asparagus spears in the center of the bread, from one corner to another. Pick up a free corner and roll. Wrap each roll-up with a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick.
- Place the roll-ups on a baking sheet. Use pastry brush to brush the bread with melted butter.
- Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Serve warm.