Callie's Shortcake Biscuit Recipe - Callie's Hot Little Biscuit
From Carrie Morey's hot little suppers cookbook
- • 2 Cups self-rising flour, we prefer White Lily or you can use our mix, plus more for dusting
- • 10 Tablespoons salted butter, divided
- • 1/2 to 3/4 cup whole milk
- • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- • 1 tablespoon Turbinado sugar
We love pairing our shortcake biscuits with Blackberry Jam at our eateries or a delicious Strawberry Jam. You also may be familiar with strawberry shortcake biscuits or Carrie's blueberry shortcake trifle. Find more shortcake inspired recipes here.
Gather Your Tools
Gather Your Ingredients
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Place 2 cups of biscuit mix into a large bowl.
- Add 8 tablespoons of salted butter and work it into the. Mix in a snapping motion with your fingers. Once your mix is the consistency of grated Parmesan cheese, add cream cheese in the same snapping manner. The cream cheese portions should be about the size of a dime.
- In a separate bowl, stir together milk and vanilla.
- Make a well in the center of the dough. Add the whole milk and vanilla mixture and combine until the dough is wet and sticky. Be careful not to overwork the dough.
- Liberally dust the dough, rolling surface, rolling pin, and cutter with the remaining biscuit mix. Flip the dough onto a dusted surface. Roll the dough using a rolling pin until it is 2 inches thick.
- As you cut the biscuits, place on a parchment lined, rimmed baking sheet. The biscuits should touch. Bring remaining dough back together into a mound. Roll, cut, and place the biscuits in the same manner.
- Melt remaining butter and brush onto biscuits. Sprinkle the biscuit tops with Turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.