Callie's Award Winning Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe & Techniques
From Carrie Morey's Hot Little Suppers cookbook
Our Award-Winning Biscuit Recipes
- With 22+ Specialty Food Awards under our belt, it's no wonder why this biscuit recipe has been shared on the TODAY Show, Food Network, and Cooking Channel!
- Everyone has a biscuit story – whether it be making them with their grandmama as a kid or popping the Pillsbury can on the side of the counter every Christmas.
- The art of a handmade biscuit is not dead.
Gather Your Tools
Gather Your Ingredients
Buttermilk Biscuit Instructions
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
- Place 2 cups of mix into a large bowl.
- Add 4 tablespoons of salted butter and work it into the. Mix in a snapping motion with your fingers. Once your mix is the consistency of grated Parmesan cheese, add cream cheese in the same snapping manner. The cream cheese portions should be about the size of a dime.
- Make a well in the center of the dough. Add 3/4 cup buttermilk and combine until the dough is wet and sticky. Be careful not to overwork the dough. If more liquid is needed to absorb the flour, add the remaining buttermilk.
- Liberally dust the dough, rolling surface, rolling pin, and cutter with the remaining mix. Flip the dough onto a dusted surface. Roll the dough using a rolling pin until it is 2 inches thick.
- As you cut the biscuits, place them on a parchment-lined, rimmed baking sheet. The biscuits should touch. Bring the remaining dough back together into a mound. Roll, cut, and place the biscuits in the same manner.
- Melt the remaining butter and brush onto the biscuits.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through.
When to mix in flavors:
To infuse your biscuits with exciting flavors like our cinnamon or sharp cheddar biscuits, incorporate your chosen flavors before adding the buttermilk. For instance, when preparing our cheese and chive biscuits, introduce the sharp cheddar and chives to your dough after you've combined the cream cheese but before adding the buttermilk. This ensures that the flavors meld seamlessly into the dough for a delicious result.
Bake Up More:
You already know biscuits make a great side with your breakfast and the bookends for a tasty sandwich, but Callie’s Hot Little Biscuit is more than that. Check out our blog for a complete rolodex of biscuit recipes and unique ways to enjoy them: The More You Know About Buttermilk Biscuits and Inspiring Ways to Enjoy Them.