Carrie's Holiday Hot Chocolate
From Carrie Morey's hot little suppers cookbook
- • 1/2 cup sugar
- • 1/2 cup cocoa
- • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- • 1 1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- • 1 1/2 ounces bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped
- • 1/4 teaspoon salt
- • Milk (16 ounces per serving)
- • Vanilla (1/4 teaspoon per serving)
- • Whipped Cream for garnish
- • Shaved Chocolate for garnish
We started making hot chocolate at Callie's Hot Little Biscuit as a wintertime alternative to coffee, and it was an immediate success. Really, who doesn't love hot chocolate with a dollop of whipped cream on top? My recipe goes a step further than the boxed brands and makes for the ultimate indulgent!
The best part about this recipe is it can be made ahead AND made for a crowd.
To make ahead: Combine all the dry ingredients into mason jars and keep in your pantry for whenever you are craving a warm cup of chocolate cheer. Add a cute ribbon and a tag with instructions (below) for an easy holiday hostess gift!
To make for a crowd: Fill a 4-quart slow cooker with milk and set it to high heat. Once the milk is warm, add 1/2 up dry mixture and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. The longer it sits, the better it tastes!
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cocoa, cornstarch, semisweet chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, and salt.
- In a sauce pan, warm the. milk and stir in the vanilla.
- Stir in the dry mix (2 tablespoons per serving)
- Transfer to a mug and top with whipped cream and shaved chocolate.