Crab Cake Biscuit Sandwich
From Carrie Morey's Hot Little Suppers cookbook
- • 1 large egg
- • 1 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- • 3 green onions, chopped
- • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- • Zest of 1 lemon (about 2 teaspoons)
- • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- • 1 teaspoon minced fresh flat-leaf Italian parsley (about 4 stems)
- • 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- • Salt and freshly ground coarse black pepper to taste
- • 1 pound claw crabmeat
- • 2 cups bread crumbs, divided
- • 1 tablespoon butter
- • 2 tablespoons canola oil
- • Buttermilk Biscuits
- • Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- • 1/4 cup basil (chopped)
While many associate crab cakes with summertime, for me, they're a year-round delight. Their ease of preparation and undeniable deliciousness make them a favorite in any season!
My family's deep affection for crab cakes, along with the cherished memories of crabbing with my dad, intensifies my love for this dish. While I adore them in my Smoked Tomato Remoulade, you can also enjoy them tucked into a biscuit sandwich for a delightful twist!
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, 1/2 cup mayonnaise, green onions, Dijon mustard, lemon zest, Worcestershire, parsley, hot sauce, and salt and pepper. Add the crabmeat and 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs. Gently stir to combine. Form the mixture into 6 patties.
- In a small bowl, place the remaining 1 1/2 cups of the bread crumbs. Carefully dredge each crab cake into the bread crumbs, coating both sides evenly.
- Chill the crab cakes in the refrigerator for 30 minutes
- In a large skillet, heat the butter and canola oil over medium-high heat. Fry the crab cakes for 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. You may need to work in two batches.
- In a separate container, grate the rind of the lemon and squeeze out all its juice into a cup of mayonnaise. Add basil and black pepper, and stir together.
- Split a single special-size buttermilk biscuit in half. Place inside a 6x6 clamshell.
- Using a spatula, spread 1 oz of lemon-basil mayonnaise across the bottom of the biscuit.
- Place 1 oz of arugula (4-5 leaves) on top of the Lemon-Basil Mayonnaise.
- Place the crab cake on top of the arugula. Add Salt and Pepper
- Brush the top of the biscuit with melted butter before serving.