Cucumber & Avocado Summer Salad with Biscuit Croutons
From Carrie Morey's Hot Little Suppers cookbook
- • 1 large cucumber, scrubbed but unpeeled
- • 1 large avocado
- • 3 or 4 green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
- • 1/4 cup roasted, salted sunflower seeds
- • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- • Vinaigrette of your choice
- • Biscuits, baked into croutons
My stepmother, Caroline, spent all of her childhood summers on a 1,400-acre ranch in Madeira, California, settled by her great-grandfather in the 1870s. Growing up, I always spent a few weeks of every summer there. Caroline's Aunt Brookie and cousin Celia still farm Mordecai Ranch, which is now planted with almond groves.
Similar to the South, this area of California has hot weather! It is less humid there and it does get cooler at night, but during the day, temperatures reach 120 degrees and there is no air conditioning. You end up craving cold foods just like you do in the South and avoid turning on a hot oven or stove at all costs.
Chilling the bowl ahead of time for this salad may be the most brilliant idea ever, and I think it needs to be immediately adopted as a new Southern tradition. Especially with adding biscuit croutons on the top of the salad!
Making the croutons:
- Thaw your frozen biscuits either leaving out on the counter or place in fridge over night.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Break biscuit into desired size on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Melt about 2 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over biscuits.
- Top with garlic powder, onion powder, and crushed red peppers.
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Making the salad:
- Chill the salad bowl.
- Cut the seedless cucumber length-wise in quarters. Cut the quarters in 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Pit, peel, and slice the avocado 1/4 inch thick. Cut the slices in half.
- Place the cucumber, avocado, green onions, and sunflower seeds in the bowl and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Add dressing to taste and toss again.
- Top with biscuit croutons.