Mama's Sour Cream Banana Pudding
From Carrie Morey's hot little suppers cookbook
- • 2 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding
- • 2 cups cold milk
- • 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- • 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping
- • 3 to 4 bananas
- • 1 (11 ounce) box vanilla wafer cookies
My grandmother Rebecca, who we called Mama, made her banana pudding almost every week for a sweet treat. Her five boys and all of her grandchildren absolutely loved when she made it. Simple, Southern, and some of the best comfort food!
- Combine the pudding and milk and whisk by hand for 2 minutes, or until thickened. Whisk in the sour cream. Set aside 1/2 cup of the whipped topping and whisk in the rest. Mix well.
- Cut the bananas into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Spread 1/3 of the pudding mixture in a 2-quart casserole dish. Cover the surface with a layer of wafers, flat side up. Top each wafer with another, rounded side up. Place a banana slice on top of each wafer pair. Fill in the spaces between the cookies with sliced bananas.
- Repeat with another layer of the pudding, wafer pairs, and banana slices.
- Repeat with the remaining pudding, wafer pairs, and banana slices. Top with the reserved whipped topping.
- Cover and refrigerate over-night.