Carrie's Elevated Southern Rotel Dip
From Carrie Morey's Hot Little Suppers cookbook
- • 1 lbs Porter Road Chorizo Ground Sausage
- • 1 Jalapeno, chopped
- • 12oz Pimento Cheese
- • 4oz Green Chilis
- • 14oz Fire Roasted Tomatoes, drained
Is it just me, or is a Rotel dip a staple for any good tailgate party? I love the salty, savory combo of the cheese and sausage, the tang of the tomatoes, and the crunch of a Frito! This isn't your typical college game day Rotel dip... I've elevated this savory dish with whole ingredients that you can feel good about serving to a crowd.
What sets this dish apart is the elevated ingredients. I've paired our Pimento Cheese with Porter Road's Chorizo Sausage. This sausage is a level up from what you'll find in the grocery store –it has a smokiness and kick of heat that is packed with flavor!
While I am a firm believer that this can be served any time of the year, I love to bring this for a Super Bowl party or college game day. Make it extra special by serving it (and baking it!) in a Smithey cast iron. Smithey's No. 6 Skillet is six inches in diameter and perfect for dips. I have their set of four in this size so I can pair the Elevated Southern Rotel Dip with an entire grazing board of my favorite dips and small dishes, like Charcuterie Dip & Chips, cocktail size pull-apart Black Pepper Bacon biscuits, and 3-ingredient Pimento Cheese Sausage balls.
- Fully cook the Chorizo Sausage in your cast iron skillet.
- In the same cast iron skillet, add jalapeño (remove seeds for less heat), Pimento Cheese, green chilies, and fire roasted tomatoes. Stir.
- Place in a 375 degree oven until bubbly and golden, about 10 minutes.
- Top with fresh cilantro and tomatoes.
Shop the Post
Hot Little Tip
This is truly a one-dish meal. Cook your sausage, bake your dip, and display it beautifully in your cast iron. I love Smithey Ironware's No. 6 skillet!