Slaw for Everything
From Carrie Morey's Hot Little Suppers cookbook
"You can bulk it up with additional veggies if you want to try slaw as a meal!" ~Carrie
- • ½ head of purple or green cabbage (or a mixture of both) very thinly sliced
- • ½ cup flat leaf parsley
- • ½ cup cilantro
- • ½ jalapeno, very thinly sliced
- • 4 radishes, very thinly sliced into matchsticks
- • ¼ cup red onion, diced
- • 1 seedless cucumber, quartered and chopped
- • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- • 1 ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- • ½ tablespoon shallot, minced
- • Zest of ½ lemon
- • ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- • ¾ cup olive oil
- • Salt and Pepper to taste
I love slaw as an alternative to salad. My family eats a ton of slaw. Slaw can be a side, a great addition to a burger or hot dog, and even a full meal. One of our favorite ways to enjoy slaw is on a fried chicken sandwich!
When you need to make it quick, you can use any vinaigrette or Carrie's Dijon vinaigrette. The crunch is so good and gets better the longer it sits. The slaw doesn't get soggy unlike salad so dig in on day two!
- In a large bowl toss together the cabbage, flat leaf parsley, cilantro, jalapeno, radishes, red onion, cucumber, and red bell pepper.
- For the dressing, in a small bowl whisk together the Dijon, shallot, lemon zest, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Add the dressing to the cabbage mixture and toss to combine. Please note: you may not use all of the dressing, it depends on how saturated you want the slaw to be.
- Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to eat. Enjoy