Yields 4-6 servings
3 cups of water (or stock for added flavor)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup Callie's Carolina Grits
½ cup cream or whole milk
- Combine water, salt, and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Slowly stir in grits and return to a boil.
- Cover pot and reduce to a simmer, cooking slowly for 20-30 minutes or until desired tenderness. Note: the longer the grits cook the creamier the result!
- Finish by stirring in milk or cream. Add salt, pepper, and butter to taste.
- Coat the inside of your slow cooker with butter, halfway up the sides.
- Add grits, butter, and water or stock, and whisk. Cover and set on low for 8-10 hours.
- When grits are cooked through, stir in salt, pepper, and cream or milk.