How to Entertain Like a Southerner... with Biscuits!
From Carrie Morey's hot little suppers cookbook
Southern Entertaining Necessities:
- • A signature savory dip
- • Handmade biscuits or grits
- • A "fool-proof" recipe
- • Your appetite!
If there is one thing that every good Southerner knows, it's to always be ready for unexpected guests. Whether it's a weekday and my girls bring friends home from volleyball practice, a weekend on the boat, or a house of rotating friends and family that helped us get by when my girls were just born – we are always prepared to have extra seats at the table.
Entertaining in the south comes down to a few things: good food, good weather, and good company. I love spending time in our kitchen or around the patio. Over the years, I've put together a few fool-proof ways that I entertain to make life easier on the hostess in my cookbooks, Callie's Biscuits and Southern Traditions and Hot Little Suppers.
Today, I'm rounding up a few of my personal favorite Callie's Hot Little Biscuit southern staples to keep stocked for entertaining guests – expected or unexpected!
How do Southerners entertain guests for a casual daytime visit?
- In our experience, there's more than one best recipe for unexpected guests. That's why we provide a selection to pick from! Our Spinach & Artichoke Biscuit Sandwiches are great for veggie lovers or someone who's after a quick snack. The Dill-icious Cucumber & Tomato Biscuit Sandwiches include herbs for a little extra flavor. Meat lovers will feel at home too with Smoked Sausage & Peppers Biscuit Sandwiches. To get an idea of how it's done, watch the how-to here.
- Save on prep time with Seared Salmon Open-Faced Biscuits and Dill-icious Cucumber Open-Faced Biscuits, which offer all the flavor in half the biscuit. For a recipe that can be served open-faced or with the biscuit on top, try Coffee-Rubbed Beef Tenderloin Biscuit Sandwiches. Watch the how-to here and see a preview of how quickly these can be prepared.
What about food to have on hand for unexpected guests when you don't want to cook?
- You've got to have our Snack Board Kit, complete with everything you need to make entertaining effortless! I also always keep our Cocktail Pecans and Cheese Crisps on hand. The pecans are candied with just the right amount of salt and spice, and our Cheese Crisps use extra-sharp cheddar with a hint of freshly cracked black pepper for a kick! If you're in the Charleston area and don't know exactly how many people to expect, ask for info on Butter the Food Truck. This way, you can have our Southern food truck accommodate a range of party sizes.
- TODAY Show Tasting - All of our hot little biscuits and pimento cheese.
- Wake & Bake Gift Basket - We've taken our top sellers and added coffee and grits to the mix for the perfect at-home brunch or breakfast for dinner!
- Biscuit Mix - The perfect touch of Southern hospitality! Choose from savory buttermilk, sweet shortcake, or gluten-free.
Shop this postButtermilk Biscuits
Hostess Helper Kit
TODAY Show Tasting
Wake & Bake Gift Basket
Buttermilk Biscuit Mix
Gluten-Free Biscuit Mix
Shortcake Biscuit Mix